The cattle shed, which is built parallel to the main house, which has a door into a passageway and from there one enters the cow shed to the right and the stables to the left. At an angle to the main house is another stall with an added building which is the outside toilet.
The main building of Rasmusgaarden still stands, apart from some small changes, exactly as described in the insurance company’s fire insurance assessment forms of 1857. The house is built of wood over a single room plan on two floors, a typical example of old Røros buildings. From the rafted-wall, which faces south, the house is divided by rudimentary wooden planks in order to make a small passageway. On the first floor the passageway has doors leading to the sitting room, the street and the courtyard. In Røros this passageway was called ‘the doorway’. Sverre Odegaard, who has described building styles in Røros says that the placing of the passageway on the rafter side of the house was very typical for Røros both on single room plan houses and on double room plan houses. When the houses were so tightly squeezed together it seemed to be the most practical solution to have the passageway in this manner. In this way people could have access to the street and to the courtyard. In the passageway were the stairs up to the second floor where the passageway was called, ‘svala’ (a gallery or external passage.) From the gallery there is access to the upper chambers.
The upstairs rooms were often used for the storage of provisions and food. Items such as the ‘milk-container’ and the chest or box for storing flat bread (wafer bread) and dried meat would hang from hooks. Some houses used these upper rooms or lofts for the storage of clothes.
At the corner of the building there is a built on kitchen. This is also built in timber over two floors. From the kitchen there is a door, which leads out to the courtyard or garden. The room above the kitchen was used as a clothes loft.
The outhouses at Rasmusgaarden also follow traditional design. According to the fire assessment documents from 1857 the cow shed and the stables were built of solid timber with rough-hewn planks as a cover. The property also had a separate stall (which could be used by visitors), which was built in the same way. There was space and provision for 10 horses. In separate papers it is recorded that this stable was very old even in 1857. Some years later the roof line was changed to join up with the cow shed. Since that time changes have taken place and the old timber is still in place. The cow shed has however been changed. Olaf R, Wintervold, the last person to keep domestic animals on the property built a new cattle shed in 1935. The new cattle shed has the same dimensions and was built on the same site as the old shed, and it has similar internal arrangements.